You will need:
Never use hot water on an ebonite mouthpiece as this could result in discolouring the mouthpiece. For the same reason never put your ebonite mouthpiece in the dishwasher.
For ebonite mouthpieces, we advise to use a mild soap or neutral pH cleaning gel to avoid discoloration.
It is not recommended to dip an ebonite mouthpiece in white vinegar for more than 1 minute to avoid any discolouring.
To remove traces of glue from the mouthpiece cushion, it is not recommended to use ethyl acetate or acetone based dissolvent, especially on the insert of a metal mouthpiece, which might not support it. Never mix a solvent, including alcohol, with bleach. This could result in the formation of toxic gases.
Disinfection is recommended each time a mouthpiece is exchanged between two musicians. Apart from this scenario, ordinary cleaning is normally sufficient. To clean a mouthpiece, see the chapter HOW TO CLEAN A CLARINET OR SAXOPHONE MOUTHPIECE
– Disinfection should always be preceded by cleaning and rinsing –
A badly cleaned or badly rinsed mouthpiece, which still contains organic residues, lime deposits or traces of detergent, cannot be cleaned effectively. These residues can make the decontamination process inefficient.
By disinfection we mean that thereduction in the number of undesirable microorganisms is at such a level that the risk of transmission of an infection is considered to be almost zero in the context of normal use and by a person with no particular frailty. It is not a sterilisation that aims to supress all forms of life.
If you have good reason to believe that the mouthpiece may be contaminated by an infectious element, make sure that you prepare all the material before starting the disinfection process and identify surfaces and objects in contact that must subsequently be decontaminated.
WARNINGS CONCERNING BLEACH
Bleach irritates the skin, eyes and respiratory tracts. It is recommended that you wear gloves and protective glasses when handling this product. In all cases it is important to strictly comply with the precautions for use specified by the manufacturer found on the packaging.
Do not mix bleach with other products In particular, never mix bleach with vinegar or alcohol This could result in the formation of toxic gases..
For the disinfection of a metal mouthpiece (not gold-plated), make a preliminary test on a small surface to ensure the absence of oxidation (possible appearance of stains).The use of bleach is not recommended on stainless steel, aluminum and silver, in particular.
When using commercial bleach preparations, often sold as a spray, check that it does not contain any perfume or detergent type additives beforehand or that these additives are not harmful when they are present.
You will need:
The biocidal activity of a bleach solution of 1% active chlorine, for 15 minutes at room temperature, works very well on almost all pathogenic microorganisms discovered to date (bacteria, mycobacteria, spores, moulds, yeasts and viruses). It is unnecessary and even dangerous to increase the chlorine concentration. It is unnecessary to increase the contact time, in particular for an ebonite mouthpiece, to avoid any discoloration.
Thermal disinfection of an ebonite mouthpiece is not recommended. Never expose your ebonite mouthpiece to a temperature higher than 60 ° C because you run the risk of permanently deforming the facing.
Disinfecting an ebonite mouthpiece using UV irradiation is not recommended. Never permanently expose your ebonite mouthpiece to sunlight or any light source emitting UV radiation. Prolonged exposure to UV radiation is the main cause of ebonite discoloration.
Bleach degrades fast. Keep it away from heat and light and check the expiry date on the packaging. The solution diluted to 1% a. c. can be used for several mouthpieces but must not be kept for more than 24 hours.
% active chlorine (a.c.)
% sodium hypochlorite (NaClO)